FREE E BOOK!

My Heavy Journey - The Secrets

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Mind Your Own Business

I had an interesting conversation with a few friends this morning. We were talking about how some people are just so nosy into other people's affair or should I say life style.

Kay poh (Malaysian slang for nosy) questions that people like to ask (I mean strangers who dont know you, and yet start off the conversation by asking these!)
- are you married?
- do you have children?
- where do you work?
- how much you earn?
etc, etc...you get my drift...

This conversation reminded me of an incident a couple of weeks ago. A group of us intended to have casual lunch. And since we were in that vicinity, I invited a friend (gave him a couple of days notice) whom I know stays nearby. He accepted my invite.

When we first sat down for lunch, after 2 or 3 ice-breaking questions from my friend, he immediately ask:
- so what do you guys do? and he immediately handed out his namecards to each and every one of us
- while doing so, he enquired on our occupation
- and when some of us hesitated to answer, he kept on pressing for answer!

These are some of the things that I think shouldnt happen in a casual lunch/dinner or event. In a casual setting, people generally dont want to talk about work or business. People just want to chill out.

If this took place in a known networking environment, then I'm perfectly fine. Like when I make appointments with prospects for FitLine, they know that I'm there to talk about business.

Like what my friend, KT says, Asians are generally so kay poh!

No comments:

Post a Comment